Three Ways of Looking at NetBeans

Discussions

Blogs: Three Ways of Looking at NetBeans

1. Three Ways of Looking at NetBeans (2 messages)

The resurgence of NetBeans is a remarkable story that continues to unfold in a variety of forums. One of the people responsible for the revitalization of Sun’s free IDE is Geertjan Wielenga. He has also been blogging about different aspects of NetBeans and what the team is doing to make sure NetBeans lives up to the buzz. In his more recent blog entry, Geertjan talks about the three different ways to look at NetBeans. Before getting into that topic, he describes one activity that helps with one activity that is all too often neglected.
    Every week the NetBeans docs team here in Prague holds a workshop where we look at some specific area of our work without getting distracted by discussions about day to day activities
    Geertjan would like people to look at NetBeans as a;
    • development environment
    • set of modules
    • framework for Swing applications
    Though the first and last are self explanatory, NetBeans as a set of modules does need some explanation. It is this perspective that all NetBeans engineers have. A Geertjan sees it; the engineers need to use functionality but first, they must provide functionality. They do this by first writing the templates that they need and will be used by others. Why not share in your experiences with us if you’ve tried NetBeans recently.
  2. NetBeans 5.0 is my IDE of choice for J2ME development. I was looking for a free IDE for J2ME development and tried out Eclipse and NetBeans. NetBeans Mobility Pack features and seamless integration to Nokia's and Sony Ericsson's Java SDK made it a simple decision to choose it over Eclipse.
  3. It is my perferred IDE. It is much more intuitive to use than Eclipse and Netbeans 5.5 inclusion of UML will make it even that much better.