Discussions

News: Pulse Continuous Integration Server 1.0 Final released

1. Zutubi is proud to announce the availability of the Pulse automated build (or continuous integration) server. Pulse is available for $1500 USD for a server license, and support contracts are available on a yearly basis. A thirty-day free license is available for trial purposes. Pulse has been designed to deliver the adaptability of a home-grown solution without the engineering cost. Pulse works in existing environments, is easy to set up and gives each developer in your team their own user interface and notification preferences. Take our feature tour for more details, or see the full feature list. Coninciding with this announcement is the release of Pulse 1.0.5. This is the first production release in the Pulse 1.0 series. The release incorporates fixes for issues reported during the beta testing period. Message was edited by: joeo@enigmastation.com
  2. Pulse is available for $1500 USD per year for a server license, and support contracts are available.
    Or we can carry on using CruiseControl (which, unlike Pulse, supports Clearcase that we use for SCM) for $0 a year on as many servers as we like. And if we feel the urge for something with a web-based configuration interface and better build history management/cleanup, there's the open source Luntbuild. Pardon me if I'm completely underwhelmed by this news item...
  3. Pulse is available for $1500 USD per year for a server license, and support contracts are available.

Or we can carry on using CruiseControl (which, unlike Pulse, supports Clearcase that we use for SCM) for $0 a year on as many servers as we like. And if we feel the urge for something with a web-based configuration interface and better build history management/cleanup, there's the open source Luntbuild. Pardon me if I'm completely underwhelmed by this news item...
    Yeah well said. Unless it can post dramatically better features than CruiseControl ... not alot of pple will be interested.
  4. Pulse is available for $1500 USD per year for a server license, and support contracts are available.

Yeah well said.
    Unless it can post dramatically better features than CruiseControl ... not alot of pple will be interested.
    I think the key is not better features, but better usability/stability/configurability. We've been using CruiseControl for several years now and it has been painful. It is useful enough that it is worth the pain, but only just barely. I look at it like I look at Bugzilla vs. Jira. I can't say that Jira, at least early on, had a significantly larger feature set than Bugzilla, but it was so much more pleasant to use and maintain that it was worth the investment. The amount of time I've spent maintaining, customizing and debugging CruiseControl is such that if a $1500 product managed to significantly reduce that, then it would be worthwhile. And if, as an added bonus, it made all the developers who rely on CC more efficient, that would just be a (huge) bonus. I have not looked at Pulse, though I have gone through the feature set on the site. If looks like it might be a big step up. I am evaluating TeamServer from Jetbrains (http://teamserver.jetbrains.com/login.html for a demo and http://www.jetbrains.net/confluence/display/TW/Team+Server+FAQ for the FAQ) which is still in EAP and I can't wait for it to make it to production. Even without the collaboration features which will be available with IDEA 6 and eventually other IDEs it promises to be a fantastic product and though I appreciate CC and how it has served us (we have at least three servers running with 30+ projects on it), I will be a happy boy when I can unplug it. --Tim
  5. Or we can carry on using CruiseControl (which, unlike Pulse, supports Clearcase that we use for SCM) for $0 a year on as many servers as we like. And if we feel the urge for something with a web-based configuration interface and better build history management/cleanup, there's the open source Luntbuild. Pardon me if I'm completely underwhelmed by this news item....
    The key difference between Cruise and something like LuntBuild, or Anthill Pro (or maybe Pulse) is that Cruise is strictly a CI app. One of it's developers described it to me as a continuous feedback engine. What a great description. For that purpose it's great. Where the other half of the build servers make their mark though is not in build history review, but release management. That's a related topic, but a distinct one. It's about knowing what you sent to production, being able to reprouce it, etc. Even better if you're automating deployments across environments as builds are promoted. Of course, there's the classic benifit of a commercial product - you can pick up the phone and yell at somebody to fix your problem :). What we are seeing though is a proliferation of tools in this space. Between open source and commercial, there have to be 20. Lots are pretty darn new. JetBrains and Pulse are just the latest. At some point there's going to be a shakeout, but we're not there yet. But why is this a front page item? I wish I knew. It seems that some vendors get to the front page everytime they post and others don't. But, if you're going to have a front page item about pulse, it hitting 1.0 would be the right time. Congratulations to the Pulse guys, and welcome to the fray.
  6. Error in newsposting[ Go to top ]

Sorry, folks - I misread one thing, and got it wrong. Pulse is $1500, a one-time fee, instead of $1500 USD per year. It's been corrected.