Discussions

News: IDEA 6.0 released

1. IDEA 6.0 released (44 messages)

IDEA 6.0, the commercial Java development IDE from JetBrains, has been released. This version improves support for Java EE, and adds tools for GWT, Struts, EJB3, JSF, Javascript, and various application servers. It also includes code coverage tools, GUI designers, inspections to help identify potential code issues. The JavaEE integration includes support for ER diagrams with EJB3 (with intentions that validate the persistence model). EJBs can be converted to JavaEE directly from with IDEA (including conversion from JNDI lookup to resource injection), although creating a Stateless Session Bean didn't create the local or remote interface for the bean. The JSF support stretches to library support, but stays short of JSF form-building. The JSF tools are still fairly basic, but suitable, with appropriate configuration validation and JSP tag completion. The IDE also supports the reference implementation of JSF as well as the Apache MyFaces distribution. There are a number of license mechanisms, from $499 (USD) for a new commercial license, to a $249 individual license ("available to individual developers purchasing the license with their own funds and for their personal use") and $99 for a new academic license. Open source projects can also receive a free license for IDEA from JetBrains.

Threaded Messages (44)

2. Facelets[ Go to top ]

Does anyone know if IDEA 6.0 support Facelets?
  3. Facelets[ Go to top ]

Yes, there is support for facelets and it becomes activated when Facelet's xhtml files are mapped to JSPX file type. Some Seam specific issues are resolved in 6.0.1
  4. I don't like IDEA[ Go to top ]

I don't like IDEA. We use it in our company, and things that happened to me when working with it, were really strange. Like - when I tried to copy&paste a piece of code, IDEA just DISSAPEARED, totally crashed ! Without any warning. When refactoring a class, I gave it a different name, then wanted to rename it back, and the file was deleted completely.. All of my code has been LOST ! Not saying about things like after a shutdown of a tomcat, the java.exe still hangs in the background and you have to kill it manually via a taskmanager.. Sometimes it just freezes and it's unusable. It makes me really angry. If they won't fix such important issues, it can't be a popular IDE. Matto www.javaride.com
  5. Re: I don't like IDEA[ Go to top ]

I don't like IDEA.

We use it in our company, and things that happened to me when working with it, were really strange.

Like - when I tried to copy&paste a piece of code, IDEA just DISSAPEARED, totally crashed ! Without any warning.

When refactoring a class, I gave it a different name, then wanted to rename it back, and the file was deleted completely.. All of my code has been LOST !

Not saying about things like after a shutdown of a tomcat, the java.exe still hangs in the background and you have to kill it manually via a taskmanager..

Sometimes it just freezes and it's unusable. It makes me really angry.

If they won't fix such important issues, it can't be a popular IDE.

Matto

So what did IDEA support say - or did you not contact them? I suppose you have paid for a license (includes support), so nothing should stop you from contacting them. Honestly, from the looks of it - it seems you are not used to using IDEA in the "right" way.....
  6. Re: I don't like IDEA[ Go to top ]

I don't like IDEA.

We use it in our company, and things that happened to me when working with it, were really strange.

Like - when I tried to copy&paste a piece of code, IDEA just DISSAPEARED, totally crashed ! Without any warning.

When refactoring a class, I gave it a different name, then wanted to rename it back, and the file was deleted completely.. All of my code has been LOST !

Not saying about things like after a shutdown of a tomcat, the java.exe still hangs in the background and you have to kill it manually via a taskmanager..

Matto

www.javaride.com
    Well, I've been using Idea for years, and I've never lost a file doing a rename or any refactor(and I do this all time). I also cut and paste quite frequently. I have seen the tomcat issue, but I personally don't prefer their tomcat integration. I, instead, elect to create a separate debug config using the bootstrap class directly and I've never had that issue. There were some issues with 5.0, but the subsequent fixes to 5.1.2 have resolved all of my issues. I remember being unimpressed, originally, by the listing of the v5 featureset. Now, I would never go back to 4.
  7. Re: I don't like IDEA[ Go to top ]

I don't like IDEA.

Matto

www.javaride.com
    Sorry Matto but seems you're working for wrong company. A company always needs to do a research for its working tool. If a tool does not agree their need, they will never use it.
  8. Re: I don't like IDEA[ Go to top ]

I don't like IDEA.

Matto

www.javaride.com

Sorry Matto but seems you're working for wrong company. A company always needs to do a research for its working tool. If a tool does not agree their need, they will never use it.
    You know, every company has it's own "company standards".. and for all the german companies I've been working for - it was the IntelliJ IDEA.. The version was 5.1.2. I also tried that 6.0 version, but with the tomcat (5.0.28) the java.exe was still hanging there.. Idea has been freezing during the ant compilation executed from the IDE. When running the ant from the command-line, everything was OK. The issues I've been writing about just HAPPENED to me, so I am saying just my own experiences.. not every issue may be the IDEA's problem, but it's just my "user point of view". I've been noticing these crashes not just once.. so I won't complain about them. I know that nothing is perfect and bugs still exist everywhere.. I wish this would not happen to me and to anyone else again, so we need to talk about this to make the software better and more and more usable.
  9. Re: I don't like IDEA[ Go to top ]

I don't like IDEA.

Matto

www.javaride.com

You know, every company has it's own "company standards".. and for all the german companies I've been working for - it was the IntelliJ IDEA..

The version was 5.1.2. I also tried that 6.0 version, but with the tomcat (5.0.28) the java.exe was still hanging there..

Idea has been freezing during the ant compilation executed from the IDE. When running the ant from the command-line, everything was OK.

The issues I've been writing about just HAPPENED to me, so I am saying just my own experiences.. not every issue may be the IDEA's problem, but it's just my "user point of view".

I've been noticing these crashes not just once.. so I won't complain about them. I know that nothing is perfect and bugs still exist everywhere..

I wish this would not happen to me and to anyone else again, so we need to talk about this to make the software better and more and more usable.
    Well, as the saying goes "All things don't work for all people." I'm using Idea 5.1.2 right now, and I don't get the issues you described. I would ask how much memory you allocated to idea. After all, your usage dictates this and the default settings are, IMO, fairly conservative. What's in your idea.vmoptions.properties file?
  10. Re: I don't like IDEA[ Go to top ]

You know, every company has it's own "company standards".. and for all the german companies I've been working for - it was the IntelliJ IDEA..

The version was 5.1.2. I also tried that 6.0 version, but with the tomcat (5.0.28) the java.exe was still hanging there..

Idea has been freezing during the ant compilation executed from the IDE. When running the ant from the command-line, everything was OK.

The issues I've been writing about just HAPPENED to me, so I am saying just my own experiences.. not every issue may be the IDEA's problem, but it's just my "user point of view".

I've been noticing these crashes not just once.. so I won't complain about them. I know that nothing is perfect and bugs still exist everywhere..

I wish this would not happen to me and to anyone else again, so we need to talk about this to make the software better and more and more usable.
    OK, now I know why, you're a wrong guy. If you have problems with your company standard working tool, why you don't complain it to your company so your company can complain to JetBrains, or a worse way, move to another standard tool? Did your colleagues have same problems or they only happen to you? And you don't want a better working tool? If you don't know or don't care, it's the reason why I tell you that you're a wrong guy.
  11. Re: I don't like IDEA[ Go to top ]

OK, now I know why, you're a wrong guy.

If you have problems with your company standard working tool, why you don't complain it to your company so your company can complain to JetBrains, or a worse way, move to another standard tool? Did your colleagues have same problems or they only happen to you? And you don't want a better working tool? If you don't know or don't care, it's the reason why I tell you that you're a wrong guy.
    My idea.exe.vmoptions : -Xms64m -Xmx512m -XX:MaxPermSize=92m -ea -server -Dsun.awt.keepWorkingSetOnMinimize=true You know, changing the standard working tool in the huge company it's like wanting to change the laws in a state by an ordinary citizen. Whatever.. you might be right, that "All things don't work for all people."
  12. Re: I don't like IDEA[ Go to top ]

IDEA just DISSAPEARED, totally crashed !
    This is called a "crash", it is a problem occurring to software systems having some kind of bug in them. In the case of java software it is normally related to a bug in the java runtime, rather than the program running on it. In brief: it is (of course) not idea's fault. Moreover: I would complain for things like that happening FREQUENTLY, but IDEA is remarkably stable (although too much "memory-leak-prone", in my view, especially when working on webapps).
    Without any warning.
    I don't know if there's a way for a running java program to intercept a virtual machine crash and report it...
    When refactoring a class, I gave it a different name, then wanted to rename it back, and the file was deleted completely.. All of my code has been LOST
    Bullshit. I refactored millions of classes, and all my teammates with me, and all the people on IDEA's forums with me, and I've never seen a report like that on a stable idea version.
    What was the cause? Idea acts just as a launcher, for tomcat, so if tomcat hangs on shutdown it's the fault what you did run it inside. I made the same mistake with some threads not in daemon mode which were not correctly shutdown: again, it was not idea's fault.
    Sometimes it just freezes and it's unusable.
    For how long? Did you check it wasn't a full garbage collection happening? This is a normal happening with desktop java programs in most configurations: other IDEs hang as well for this same reason. The full GC times may become really high, moreover, if your machine happens to be swapping memory during the process. In my experience, activating the CMS concurrent collector helps a lot. By the way: it is NOT IDEA'S FAULT.
  13. Re: I don't like IDEA[ Go to top ]

IDEA just DISSAPEARED, totally crashed !
    This is called a "crash", it is a problem occurring to software systems having some kind of bug in them. In the case of java software it is normally related to a bug in the java runtime, rather than the program running on it. In brief: it is (of course) not idea's fault. Moreover: I would complain for things like that happening FREQUENTLY, but IDEA is remarkably stable (although too much "memory-leak-prone", in my view, especially when working on webapps).
    Without any warning.
    I don't know if there's a way for a running java program to intercept a virtual machine crash and report it...
    When refactoring a class, I gave it a different name, then wanted to rename it back, and the file was deleted completely.. All of my code has been LOST
    Bullshit. I refactored millions of classes, and all my teammates with me, and all the people on IDEA's forums with me, and I've never seen a report like that on a stable idea version.
    What was the cause? Idea acts just as a launcher, for tomcat, so if tomcat hangs on shutdown it's the fault what you did run it inside. I made the same mistake with some threads not in daemon mode which were not correctly shutdown: again, it was not idea's fault.
    Sometimes it just freezes and it's unusable.
    For how long? Did you check it wasn't a full garbage collection happening? This is a normal happening with desktop java programs in most configurations: other IDEs hang as well for this same reason. The full GC times may become really high, moreover, if your machine happens to be swapping memory during the process. In my experience, activating the CMS concurrent collector helps a lot. By the way: it is NOT IDEA'S FAULT.
  14. exagggggeration[ Go to top ]

Bullshit. I refactored millions of classes
    uh... may i call bs on your "millions" claim?
  15. Re: exagggggeration[ Go to top ]

Bullshit. I refactored millions of classes

uh... may i call bs on your "millions" claim?
    Of course, you can, especially if you want to make clear that you don't know what an hyperbole is. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperbole
  16. huge fan... disappointed[ Go to top ]

I've been a fan of IDEA since v3.0. They were always ahead of the curve and targetting advanced developers who just wanted a simple, clean IDE... but I think v5.1 may be my last, probably have to join the eclipse movement. This latest version has become even more bloated. Version 5 was bad enough but still usable. It can take minutes to load a large project, disk caches take up almost a gigabyte of space, memory usage is as bad as JBuilder, etc. Plugin development has slowed- many of the plugins listed are not support even on 5.x. 6.0 has been available in beta for months but very few of the plugins have been updated. Support for emerging technologies is minimal -- looking for scripting language support like Groovy, AOP support, support for Hibernate, Freemarker, Velocity, etc. -- all of which can be found in Eclipse (most of them aren't even considered "emerging"). I haven't switched yet, I was waiting to see what 6.0 brought. It is heading the way of JBuilder. I don't know who is doing the marketing research for JetBrains. It seems the developers of IDEA are being directed towards new features which are not all that important in the bigger picture. They need to go back to the roots, spend time fixing bugs and making it clean, lean, and fast again. If they sold their "features" (EJB, GUI developer, CI integration, etc.) as add-ons I think they'd be surprised at how few of them sold. Maybe that is a model they should go to: cut the price in half and sell all those as $50 each add-ons.
  17. Re: huge fan... disappointed[ Go to top ]

I've been using (and big fan of) IDEA since version 3.0 too. Each time a new version comes out I find it stuffed with stuff I'll probably not ever use but also with one or two things that make me smile. This time the extended JavaScript support might be the biggest plus for me (but I'm spending a lot of time working on AJAX w/ dojo and DWR right now). The project-wide error handling is a nice new thing too. I agree that improved speed would be a nice thing. The tool-support for EJB3 and JSF as well as the TeamCity stuff might be really nice, but I don't see any teams near me moving in that direction. But that's just me. I'll repeat myself though. improved speed would be a nice thing. I actually delete the caches directory occassionally to speed things up. Yuck. On the other hand, I don't know if Eclipse is for me yet. 2-penny ,boz
  18. Very agreed[ Go to top ]

I have the same feeling. I feel unhappy that it always takes up to 5 minutes to launch Idea 6 and open a project - I have 1.5 G memory on my thinkpad T60. There is no pleasuse at all to wait so long. I often use SpringFrameworks, Hibernate, Velocity nowadays. I think JetBrains just want to see IDEA for big price, so they support a lot of EJB. I suggest IDEA should be seperated into two version, one full but a memory monster version, the other is lite, fast, and really develop with pleasure. Thanks, Hugo Zhu
  19. Re: huge fan... disappointed[ Go to top ]

I agree with what you have to say about the performance on starting up the app and loading a project. It needs to be better and it needs to not do full rescans unless it's really necessary. You might also want to look at optimizing the memory settings in the mean time, since the default ones are not suitable at all for large projects. As for the plugins, there's not a lot they can do about that since they don't own them. They also can't dictate what plugins are created so if there's none for your favorite library, there's not much they can do. On a side note, there is a plugin for Hibernate called Hibero (you mentioned a desire for Hibernate support). As for the new features they add that "aren't all that important", that's a matter of taste. If it's a feature that you need, then it's suddenly very important and worth the price of upgrade alone. For example, if you're on an EJB 3 project, you'll probably be very happy. If not, then it's simply "unimportant" that it supports it or even worse, merely more bloat. You know you can unistall that, right? As for bugs...it's far less buggy than Eclipse. I mean worlds better than Eclipse. And if you think all those Eclipse plugins are so great, by all means try them out. :) I re-try Eclipse (and Netbeans) every time they come out with a new version with significant changes in it just to see if I want to keep paying for IntelliJ. I'm a tools whore. My loyalty to JetBrains extends to them so long as they make the best product. In spite of some of the issues with IntelliJ, it's simply no contest. It's just much better than Eclipse in both quality and productivity in core Java tasks. But by all means, please use Eclipse and do real work with it. You never know what you have until you use something else. As for JetBrains devs getting defensive... *Most* of the time they do this when people complain about things they don't really understand. IntelliJ is not for the mediocre mouse-clicky developer. You should spend some time getting very familiar with it. After all, you're gonna spend the better part of 8 hours a day in it. You should master it's use. The same goes for any IDE -- not just IntelliJ. That aside, they do need to be careful and listen to valid criticisms. To their credit, most of the time they do. Once in a while they don't. However, they are, without question, far more accessible to their customers than the vast majority of companies -- especially their devs.
  20. sadly, you're right[ Go to top ]

i'll probably try eclipse out.. again... and be back to idea shortly. i just wish it was as ahead of the curve as it was 4 years ago. i'm using a totally different set of libraries and technologies than i was back then, idea isn't.
  21. Re: IDEA 6.0 released[ Go to top ]

Hi Thank you for reading my post i have some question about IDEA web developement support : -does it has visual page designer for jsf/html/jsp files built-in or via plugins ? -does it provides visual editor for struts-config ,faces-confgi , web.xml ? -does it support adding persistence unit visually ? -in team development term , does it has any SVN support ? -which apps are supported and up to which level ? -what does it provide for webservice development ? -which code generators it has ? thanks
  22. Re[2]: IDEA 6.0 released[ Go to top ]

-no -yes -AFAIK no -yes -integration with WebSphere,WebLogic, JBoss, Geronimo, Glassfish, Gwt, I wonder what other apps you are interested in? -all basic one (via plugin) - client/server stubs generation, WSDL from source, monitoring SOAP, etc -persistence mapping from entity beans, Hibernate or JDBC source
  23. hello[ Go to top ]

Maxim, as an insider at JetBrains can you help us understand why JetBrains is leaving developers behind and turning IDEA into a product we don't need or want?
  24. Re:hello[ Go to top ]

Partly because of not enough feedback from developers. And yes, next IDEA version will be focused on performance improvements.
  25. which next version?[ Go to top ]

Are you referring to 7.0 or 6.1? From what I've seen through the beta program all the way to final release I can't justify spending the money on the upgrade. I'd like to, I don't really want to switch to eclipse after 4 years on IDEA-- but it is no longer the quality product that I started on. I guess I'll have to be sold on it after the "next version" comes out to see if it worth full price again. regarding "developer feedback"... who drives the feature changes? Even as a customer I've never seen any type of survey or communication from JetBrains asking for input.
  26. Re: which next version?[ Go to top ]

Even as a customer I've never seen any type of survey or communication from JetBrains asking for input.
    Huh? What those sites are then? http://intellij.net/ http://intellij.org/
  27. Re: which next version?[ Go to top ]

Right now IDEA 'next version' is planned to be 6.5. As to the feedback, I suggest to file JIRA tracker issues or vote/comment for existing ones (http://www.jetbrains.net/jira/browse/IDEA). Another feedback channel is news groups (e.g. jetbrains.intellij.community, jetbrains.intellij.eap) on news.intellij.net. IDEA features is significantly (especially serverside) dependent on received feedback.
  28. IntelliLang[ Go to top ]

Check out IntelliLang, it's an amazing piece of software: http://www.jetbrains.net/confluence/display/CONTEST/IntelliLang
  29. I prefer Oracle JDeveloper...[ Go to top ]

Hi, IDEA may be a good IDE but I still consider this IDE is no match for JDeveloper. Especially JDeveloper is free for everyone why pay for IDEA?... As for me the ratings for IDE's are those: 1. Oracle JDeveloper 2. Eclipse 3. NetBeans What I personallly don't like at Eclipse is this "Plugin Hell" (see DLL Hell). I have plugins which I can't uninstall or others disabled like Apache Xerces 2.8.0. If I want to install new features I simply can't install them because Apache Xerces is disabled and neither I can install it again. If NetBeans would get the features offered by Java Studio Creator would make a very strong IDE, a real competition to Eclipse and it seems is more manageable and stable than Eclipse. Anyway, as far as I am concerned I prefer JDeveloper. All the best, Alexandru
  30. If NetBeans would get the features offered by Java Studio Creator would make a very strong IDE, a real competition to Eclipse and it seems is more manageable and stable than Eclipse.
    That is already happening, see my latest demo here: http://blogs.sun.com/roumen/entry/wanna_take_a_look_under Technology preview of the new Visual Web Pack (Creator-like functionality in NetBeans) is planned for Oct 30.
  31. If NetBeans would get the features offered by Java Studio Creator would make a very strong IDE, a real competition to Eclipse and it seems is more manageable and stable than Eclipse.

That is already happening, see my latest demo here:

http://blogs.sun.com/roumen/entry/wanna_take_a_look_under

Technology preview of the new Visual Web Pack (Creator-like functionality in NetBeans) is planned for Oct 30.
    WOW! This is the real news here. I think this is when NetBeans finally grows up. This will give NetBeans the visual capabilities that have been in Visual Studio for a long time. Good job netbeans team! As far as IDEA goes, competition is good. Mike
  32. nice improvements in IDEA 6.0[ Go to top ]

I don't use IDEA for J2EE things like EJBs or WEB services and last time I tried it didnt work because IDEA generated invalid EJB descriptors for WebLogic. But for standard Java coding IDEA is the best IDE I have ever seen. My favourite features: + Tremendous refactoring options. + Code analysis and real-time warnings allows to improve code quality so easy. + Very convenient code generation options.
  33. Hi,

IDEA may be a good IDE but I still consider this IDE is no match for JDeveloper.
    Especially JDeveloper is free for everyone why pay for IDEA?...

As for me the ratings for IDE's are those:
    1. Oracle JDeveloper
    2. Eclipse
    3. NetBeans
    Have you actually tried IDEA? Because you're saying that IDEA "is no match for JDeveloper", and still, did not mention anything about the IDE except that it is not free. I don't work for IntelliJ BTW. Just curious.
  34. Just tune it[ Go to top ]

IDEA is still lean and mean. You just have to turn off the plugins that you don't need and give it a bit more memory. At least on OS X, not sure how that works on other platforms. Because I also don't need nonsense like Struts, JSF or even Ant support I simply turn it off. My IDEA contains just 9 of the 20+ default plugins and I think that results in a big speed difference. Giving IDEA more memory also really helps. There is 2GB in my MacBook and I have manually set IDEAs heap size to 512MB i Idea.app/Contents/Info.plist. Works great. My only issue with IDEA is that the Mac support is *still* after all those years not optimal. Simple things like command-clicking to select multiple items simply don't work and key bindings in dialogs default back to Windows. Other than that it will stay my primary Java development tool. S.
  35. Try IDEA 3.0.5 :)[ Go to top ]

I'm use IDEA 3.0.5 from 2003 it best IDE. It fast, simple and powerful. IDEA 4.X 5.X 6.X slow and it not work with jsp tag syntax "> :( You may download it from here: http://support.jetbrains.com/kb/entry.jspa?externalID=71&categoryID=5
  36. thanks for the link[ Go to top ]

IDEA fans should go there an give that document a 5 star rating-- think they'd notice?
  37. JetBrains, It's kind of an insult to say that the few improvements and added features of IDEA 6 represent a major release. It should have been called 5.4. After trying the IDEA 6 beta, I see no improvements for me. IDEA doesn't load faster; projects don't load faster; menus are still cluttered with features I've never used in 5 years; there's still no X on editor tabs to close them quickly; the refactorings I use most (rename & move) are still too many clicks away via context menus; I still can't initiate a move refactoring by dragging and dropping in the package veiwer. JavaScript and HTML tag support sucks. Showing me every single method/property for every single JavaScript object doesn't really help me find the right one for the object I'm working with. If there's a better way to use these features, that way is not intuitive to find. I hope JetBrains can clean up it's corporate house and get rid of the product managers, marketing types, and dev leads who are driving IDEA into the ground. It's sad to see the once great IDEA IDE become so mediocer. Sigh. Sincerely, A disappointed customer P.S. JetBrains, you may want to seek out ideas for improvement from long time customers instead of being defensive about their criticism.
  38. Like many of the posters here, I've used IDEA since version 2 and for many years I've remained reasonably happy with it. Prior to version 5, I actually even switched from IDEA to Eclipse, but found there where still items within Eclipse that infuriated me and so I opted for better the devil you know than the devil you don't approach. I'm working with a bunch of developers thats 50/50 split between Eclipe and IDEA, I think with time if Jetbrains don't tackle their inherant problems this will change both with my organization and I guess others also. By and large I concur with the previous posters, IDEA does not rock in the same way it once did. Whilst plugins seem a great idea, most of them are badly supported and often are less than reliable. Personally I'm not sure about the fuss with supporting plugins in the first place, I'd rather have a good core feature that the ability to right tetris or an RSS reader for my IDE. Like many developers here, I'm using Spring, Hibernate, XFire, Maven and would love some enhanced tool support over the TeamCity styled features. During JavaPolis I spoke with some of their developers, but obviously my lone voice wasn't seemingly enough. As I said then, Jetbrains are not listening to their users, and whilst there are any number of rebadged eclipse power ide's out there, this flexibility is certainly becoming all the more enticing.
  39. Hint[ Go to top ]

When completing JavaScript try smart complete.
  40. there's still no X on editor tabs to close them quickly
    Middle click on the tab. Faster and with less clutter.
    the refactorings I use most (rename & move) are still too many clicks away via context menus
    F6 for move, Shift+F6 for rename. If you insist on using mouse (which slows you down no matter which IDE you use), you have right click->Refactor->Move (first choice). If you want to reduce clicks, you must put Move/Rename in the first level of context menu, which is pretty filled up as it is.
    JavaScript and HTML tag support sucks. Showing me every single method/property for every single JavaScript object doesn't really help me find the right one for the object I'm working with. If there's a better way to use these features, that way is not intuitive to find.
    That's another "great benefit" of dynamic languages. No types for compiler result in no IntelliSense for programmer. I feel the greatest problem with IDEA is that they have perfected most of the features used by the majority. All they can do in new versions are cosmetic changes, performance improvements (hard to do, even harder to market) and support for fringe technologies or new versions of already supported ones.
  41. no more an ideal ide[ Go to top ]

you're right-- i've noticed in their forums that they get very defensive against critics. jetbrains has lost touch with the developer's needs. and yes, i agree, IDEA 6 w/o TeamCity would be 5.2 at best. it just happens to have been about a year since the last major release and they need their maintenance upgrade money.
  42. TeamCity[ Go to top ]

Does anybody already tried TeamCity in development process? Seems like it's quite useful thing.
  43. Re: IDEA 6.0 released[ Go to top ]

I am curious why everybody is bashing IDEA, which is in my opinion still the best Java IDE we have. However, there is always place for improvement. My favorite new features would be: - including SyncEdit plugin (but polished) into main distribution. - templates for ad-hoc code generation (equals, hashcode, toString, getter, setters, etc...) Something like Generate toString plugin, but more simple. - option to eanable automatic color highlighting of local usages instead of activating it with a key stroke. - faster inspections and intentions, faster loading of projects. - better suport for generating archives (this is basic feature, we do not need to download plugin for that).
  44. Still The Best IDE[ Go to top ]

This thread gives somewhat distorted view of IDEA. I'd encourage the new users to download it and try it for themselves, but be careful it is addictive! Well you are warned now. I for one still find IDEA amazing. I've tried Netbeans, Eclipse, JDeveloper for my personal project and always come back to IDEA. Not out of dissatisfaction with IDEA, I might add, but rather, curiosity. At work I have to use RSA an Eclipse based tool. After downloading 3G of stuff from IBM (No Eclipse is far less than 2G IBM's distribution makes it huge), I often have to download 1.5G of updates. I call that ridiculous, dissatisfying and insulting to intelligence. And I really appreciate Jetbrains' support for Open Source.
  45. The problem seems obvious ...[ Go to top ]

We have some people complaining that there's not enough in it to justify calling it Version 6.0, and we have other folk complaining that it's now bloated and full of fluff. You can't please everybody. Because I'm cheap, I try Eclipse and NetBeans every time a new version is released. For me, Eclipse doesn't come anywhere close. It's buggy and inconsistent, and very slow. NetBeans is better, but still lacks polish for me; all these years and it still can't print a selection of text? IDEA isn't perfect, but for me at least, it is still the best of the bunch by a long way.