Discussions

General J2EE: Async Web services

1. Async Web services (3 messages)

I am calling on a webservice. Axis is being used as the SOAP Engine for this service. Currently I am able to make synchronous calls to it, however my application does not require a response or can continue without a response from the Service. I would like to Implement this asynchronously. Please suggest me what is the best way to achieve this

Threaded Messages (3)

2. Async Web services[ Go to top ]

I don't know if a std way to do this exist.. But there are 2 ways that we have implemented at work: 1. Call back: When the client post a request, with the request information, it receives an URL for the call back service. Calls are accepted and queued for processing. Once the procesing is finished results are delivered to the call back address. 2. Pooling: The request is received and the WS returns a unique id to identify the request. The client will poll the server from time to time using a different service to know if the request was procesed. So far we have best results with the Call back method.. Regards, JP
  3. Re: Async Web services[ Go to top ]

I think Axis2 provides some client APIs to invoke the servcies both in sync and asynch way. asynchronous HTTP as one-way transport Callback callback = new Callback() { public void onComplete(AsyncResult result) { .... } public void reportError(Exception e) { ... } };
  4. Re: Async Web services[ Go to top ]

If you don't require a response back then you don't even need a callback handler. The elegant way to create an asynchonous system is to use JMS to queue your asynchronous requests. Your clients will produce "messages" and your standalone services will consume those messages.
    I am calling on a webservice. Axis is being used as the SOAP Engine for this service. Currently I am able to make synchronous calls to it, however my application does not require a response or can continue without a response from the Service. I would like to Implement this asynchronously. Please suggest me what is the best way to achieve this