Discussions

News: Geir Magnusson: Sun, an open source ghetto at J1, please?

1. Geir Magnusson has issued a plea to Sun to offer an "open source ghetto" at JavaOne this year, much as LinuxWorld does. It'd be interesting, but with so much corporate sponsorship and use of open source products, wouldn't it be mostly the same as the pavilion itself? That said, he has a point: he says it "will certainly be an attraction for the open and free Java communities, which tend to stay away from JavaOne, and a good introduction to the variety strength of the open and free communities for the JavaOne attendees. How about it? I promise we'll behave. :)" [Editor's note: speak for yourself, Geir... do you have no memory of the Thirsty Bear?] What do you think about the idea? If you're an open source developer, would such a pavilion encourage you to attend JavaOne? Would you be interested in helping such a pavilion? What about you non-open-source people out there?
  2. Geir Magnusson has issued a plea to Sun to offer an "open source ghetto" at JavaOne this year, much as LinuxWorld does. It'd be interesting, but with so much corporate sponsorship and use of open source products, wouldn't it be mostly the same as the pavilion itself?
    No, not really - I was thinking about the Apache Software Foundation, the Free Software Foundation, OW2, GNU Classpath... mainly OSS project and community groups. I wasn't thinking about projects like Spring when I wrote it, but that would certainly be valid (although I'd guess that Rod and crew will have their own booth at some point?) There must be all sorts of OSS projects that would be interesting there. And I think it could be not just Java-oriented things. I'm not sure how interested or interesting linux distros would be, but I'd bet that Sun would invite OS distros based on the OpenSolaris kernel (what do you call them anyway? I've suggested "OpenSolaris/GNU")
    That said, he has a point: he says it "will certainly be an attraction for the open and free Java communities, which tend to stay away from JavaOne, and a good introduction to the variety strength of the open and free communities for the JavaOne attendees. How about it? I promise we'll behave. :)" [Editor's note: speak for yourself, Geir... do you have no memory of the Thirsty Bear?]
    What happens at the Thirsty Bear stays at the Thirsty Bear :) Ok, that's not really true - it then moves on to Kate O'Briens because the Bear closes at something silly like 10:00...
    What do you think about the idea? If you're an open source developer, would such a pavilion encourage you to attend JavaOne? Would you be interested in helping such a pavilion? What about you non-open-source people out there?
    I'm not sure that having the tables in the pavilion (which is what they call the expo area, so it's not "a pavilion", but simply part of "the pavilion") would be enough to get open and free Java advocates to attend JavaOne, but combined with the new OpenSource track? Maybe. Certainly, it would be a good way to help bring this important and signficant part of the Java ecosystem to what is arguably the most important and signfiicant conference in the Java ecosystem. geir
  3. Your Schwartz is ..[ Go to top ]

I suggested to Mr. Ponytail that he push for this a couple of years ago. It's a good PR move for Sun, and they can delineate fairly easily between not-for-profit open source (Apache) and obvious commercials (Gluecode, IBM).
    What happens at the Thirsty Bear stays at the Thirsty Bear :) Ok, that's not really true - it then moves on to Kate O'Briens because the Bear closes at something silly like 10:00...
    BTW - I still have pictures from the "first annual JavaOne wine tasting" that occurred one night after Kate O'Briens closed. I think James Strachan is still blushing from it. Peace, Cameron Purdy Tangosol Coherence: Millions of CPUs can't be wrong!
  4. No, it's not funny.
  5. No, it's not funny.
    Anything that the P.C. gestapo thinks isn't funny, must be funny.