Is scalability a factor of number of machines/CPUs?

Discussions

Performance and scalability: Is scalability a factor of number of machines/CPUs?

1. Is scalability a factor of number of machines/CPUs? (2 messages)

Thanks to the likes of Google, the world today sees application scalability in a new light - that of not being only dependent on Symmetric Multi-Processor (SMP) boxes. What probably doesnot come out clearly from such implementations is optimization of the available CPU power. I read somewhere that only a portion of the world’s available processing power is actually used. On the other hand, dont many of us worry about applications being slow? Can we break away from the shackles and achieve true scalability in our applications without having to create a Googleplex? I have a few thoughts here : http://regumindtrail.wordpress.com/2007/02/05/is-scalability-a-factor-of-number-of-machinescpus/
  2. Thanks to the likes of Google, the world today sees application scalability in a new light - that of not being only dependent on Symmetric Multi-Processor (SMP) boxes.
    Google used similar concepts to those popularized in Java by Tangosol Coherence. The big differences are that Google didn't have the "business level" requirements that we did, i.e. to manage the information transactionally and reliably. Peace, Cameron Purdy Tangosol Coherence: The Java Data Grid
  3. The simple answer is that it all depends on the application and the way that it is written. Some business applications have bottlenecks and are very difficult to scale. So concurrent programming techniques are required. It should be pointed out that the vast majority of Java developers are not prepared for writing applications that take advantage of multicore processors. PJ Murray, CodeFutures Software Data Access Objects and Service Data Objects