Discussions

News: Review: Glassfish V2M4

1. Review: Glassfish V2M4 (9 messages)

Scott Balmos has written a review of the Glassfish project. According to Balmos, better integration, clustering, high availability sessions, JAX-WS, WebDAV and a number of features that were introduced earlier are now polished enough to launch as a beta release this March 12. Writes Balmos:
    Sun's Glassfish project is quickly making its way towards the release of its V2 branch. And the Milestone 4 release, made available for download a few weeks ago, is truly a milestone in achievements. While previous milestone builds have had a rough, unfinished feel to them, Milestone 4 is definitely a quality build - with some compelling new features added since the last time TSS reviewed Glassfish (Milestone 2). While a number of these features were actually added in Milestone 3, almost all of them have received further polish and better integration in Milestone 4. This work is all leading towards the release of Beta 2 of the V2 branch, now slated for next Monday, March 12. The Shoal dynamic clustering system continues to be improved. It is quite usable, and the introduction of high-availability for HTTP sessions has opened the door to true clustering and load balancing abilities. While not necessarily as easy as JBoss's fully-dynamic clustering, where a new cluster node in the same subnet can quickly pick up its settings and join the farm, it is quite usable in its current form. And, thankfully, the web Administration Interface now distributes app archives and resources across cluster nodes. The Administration website has been rewritten with JSF templates, which makes it much faster, and generally has a bit more polish to it. Some categories of the site have been moved around, to better account for clustered situations. And there are fewer errors, especially when displaying large log files and monitoring traces. For those administrators who easily lose their way around, navigation breadcrumbs have been added throughout. And the administration command-line interface has been updated to include command guessing, where you can type a shorthand version of a command, and as long as the shorthand entry is unique, the rest of the command name will be figured out. The JAX-WS integration has provided much shorter URLs for the WSDL file and XSD schema files. This is purely an aesthetic matter, but it does invariably lead to better URLs to provide to other developers. You would prefer getting https://soap.blah.com/Service/Service?wsdl and https://soap.blah.cm/Service/Service?xsd=1 rather than the old style dynamic servlet URLs, right? WSIT (Project Tango) for Java/.Net SOAP interoperability is integrated, which is a welcome sight to me personally. I always write all of my client acceptance tests in C#, in order to ensure true interoperability. And work continues on port unification, along with the SOAP/TCP transport. Finally, various improvements on the HTTP side of things have been made. The Grizzly engine now supports Comet-based "data pushing", to send data back to a client without the client having done an explicit request beforehand. Major improvements have been made in the virtual hosting and virtual directory support. WebDAV support was added. And there's official support the Apache AJP connector, which I know is a major checkbox on some peoples' wishlists (mine included). JSP compilation is now handled through JSR 199, and the embedded Eclipse JDT compiler is now included, in case you want to use that instead. All in all, this is quite an enjoyable, stable development build. Whereas in previous milestones I've sometimes felt that the milestone build was actually worse off than some of the weekly promoted builds, M4 will be staying around on my development box for quite a while. For those curious about how the JEE5 reference implementation server is coming along, I highly encourage you to take this milestone for a test drive. You'll be pleasantly surprised.

Threaded Messages (9)

2. Great review. I hope this is helpful for folks looking for a good quality enterprise level open source Java EE 5 application server. I am interested in the part where you mention that the Shoal dynamic clustering is not as easy to use as JBoss dynamic clustering is. Could you give us more specifics on that so we can address any ease of use issues? Thanks very much Shreedhar (PS: I am a Sun Employee)
  3. Re: Review: Glassfish V2M4[ Go to top ]

The open-source J2EE servers space is really getting exciting. Is there any source for an evaluation between Glassfish V2, Geronimo V2 and JBoss V5 ?
  4. Re: Review: Glassfish V2M4[ Go to top ]

The open-source J2EE servers space is really getting exciting.

Is there any source for an evaluation between Glassfish V2, Geronimo V2 and JBoss V5 ?
    It wouldn't be fair to include Geronimo in the comparison. Java EE requires JSF 1.2, and Geronimo (of course) must use the MyFaces implementation. However, the Myfaces guys don't really seem to be in a hurry to release a JSF 1.2 version at all. Glassfish and JBoss AS 5 on the other hand use a mature JSF 1.2 implementation that has been final for nearly a full year and has already seen several stability updates.
  5. Re: Review: Glassfish V2M4[ Go to top ]

Is there any source for an evaluation between Glassfish V2, Geronimo V2 and JBoss V5 ?

It wouldn't be fair to include Geronimo in the comparison. Java EE requires JSF 1.2, and Geronimo (of course) must use the MyFaces implementation. However, the Myfaces guys don't really seem to be in a hurry to release a JSF 1.2 version at all.

Glassfish and JBoss AS 5 on the other hand use a mature JSF 1.2 implementation that has been final for nearly a full year and has already seen several stability updates.
    Actually MyFaces 1.2 is being worked on as we speak...
  6. Re: Review: Glassfish V2M4[ Go to top ]

It wouldn't be fair to include Geronimo in the comparison. Java EE requires JSF 1.2, and Geronimo (of course) must use the MyFaces implementation. However, the Myfaces guys don't really seem to be in a hurry to release a JSF 1.2 version at all.

Glassfish and JBoss AS 5 on the other hand use a mature JSF 1.2 implementation that has been final for nearly a full year and has already seen several stability updates.

Actually MyFaces 1.2 is being worked on as we speak...
    Actually I have to be more precise in this, I am not one of the Geronimo devs, but there are several parts in Geronimo which are at the finishing stages. Tomcat 6 with the latest servlet, and jsp apis has reached stable currently, openjpa and openejb to my knowledge are almost there, and myfaces 1.2 is pretty far on its way as well (although I have to admit i do not know how far they are but it is being worked on intensively). So it is not just myfaces, but all parts currently come together.
  7. Re: Review: Glassfish V2M4[ Go to top ]

and myfaces 1.2 is pretty far on its way as well (although I have to admit i do not know how far they are but it is being worked on intensively).
    Are you sure about that? Don't get me wrong as I absolutely love myfaces, but to be fair, I monitor the myfaces dev mailing list frequently and there is (seemingly) little activity going on concerning JSF 1.2. Most topics are about some 1.1.x version or about some Tomahawk issue.
  8. Re: Review: Glassfish V2M4[ Go to top ]

Glassfish and JBoss AS 5 on the other hand use a mature JSF 1.2 implementation
    Which implementation?
  9. Pure Java Glassfish[ Go to top ]

I love Glassfish, I like all it's features, I even promote to use it in production, still there's a single nagging problem with it, Sun's Message Queue implementation, as long as message queue is native I can't install Glassfish on HP-UX or AIX, both envs. are used at my business and there's no intention to drop them. A Pure Java Glassfish would be great.
  10. Pure Java MQ in Glassfish[ Go to top ]

Hi Mohammed, GlassFish V2 comes bundled with Open Queue 4.1 (https://mq.dev.java.net/) which does not have any native code, (pure java impl). -Ramesh