Geert Bevin: Wrong assumptions about OpenLaszlo

Discussions

News: Geert Bevin: Wrong assumptions about OpenLaszlo

1. In "Wrong assumptions about OpenLaszlo," Geert addresses some misconceptions people have about OpenLaszlo, including support for multiple runtimes and the use of XML for declaring the UI elements - pointing out that people complain about OpenLaszlo's use of XML, but rarely complain about XHTML being XML as well.
    ... about OpenLaszlo's support for multiple runtimes... Contrary to Java it doesn't intend to be Write Once Run Anywhere The multiple runtimes however allow you to have exactly the same architecture for building different applications or different parts of the same application. Some things are better done in DHTML (internationalization, accessibilty, native feel, font rendering, execution performance, memory footprint) and others are better done in Flash (video, music, multimedia, rotated fonts, high amount of animations, ...). You can reuse a lot of your code and most of it does work across runtimes, which is a nice benefit. I encourage everyone to try out OpenLaszlo's DHTML engine, it's quite impressive even at this first stable release status. This brings me straight to Flash support and the apparent fact that Flex and Laszlo are at least on equals footing here. Some people actually seem to think that Flex has the edge since Adobe controls Flash too. In reality however, Flex only runs on Flash 9 while OpenLaszlo runs on Flash 7, 8 and 9 and does proper optimizations for each specific version.
  2. In "Wrong assumptions about OpenLaszlo," Geert addresses some misconceptions people have about OpenLaszlo, including support for multiple runtimes and the use of XML for declaring the UI elements - pointing out that people complain about OpenLaszlo's use of XML, but rarely complain about XHTML being XML as well.
    Not sure who and why they complain, but declarative xml configuration of the interface with bindings to dynamic scripts is beautiful. Definitelly beats building DHTML front ends.
    You can reuse a lot of your code and most of it does work across runtimes, which is a nice benefit. I encourage everyone to try out OpenLaszlo's DHTML engine, it's quite impressive even at this first stable release status.

This brings me straight to Flash support and the apparent fact that Flex and Laszlo are at least on equals footing here. Some people actually seem to think that Flex has the edge since Adobe controls Flash too. In reality however, Flex only runs on Flash 9 while OpenLaszlo runs on Flash 7, 8 and 9 and does proper optimizations for each specific version.
    Open laszlo doesn't take advantage of the new flash 9 JIT, which is where flex shines. I find flex has way more compnents available (default and through other OSS channels). The community support seems to be thriving as well. With that said, I was initially also concerned about the lack of support for flash < version 9 in flex, but that's irrelavant, being that within 3 months of flash 9 release, over 80% of machines with flash upgraded to v9. This is in fact due to flash's wonderful distribution model. Ilya
  3. The 80% upgrade figure was taken from Adobe.
  4. Which to start with[ Go to top ]

With Adobe's move to open source most of flex I'm trying to decide which I should dive in with. I'm not really concerned with supporting any flash player older then v9, with that in mind does anyone have any experience with both and can give me some recommendations?
  5. Re: Which to start with[ Go to top ]

With Adobe's move to open source most of flex I'm trying to decide which I should dive in with.

I'm not really concerned with supporting any flash player older then v9, with that in mind does anyone have any experience with both and can give me some recommendations?
    I have been involved in some larger Flex 1.5 projects. I find OpenLaszlo attractive for the DHTML support and its support for older Flash versions. If you're developing for corporate users you have to be aware that many still have Flash 6 which is the default player for Windows XP sp2. Flex on the other hand is attractive for its performance, available frameworks on top op Flex (e.g. Cairngorm and FlexUnit) and the killer for me: high end community components (e.g. http://www.quietlyscheming.com/blog/) which seems to be totally lacking in OpenLaszlo. So in most cases I would go with Flex based on sheer productivity. Kind regards, Marc
  6. Re: Which to start with[ Go to top ]

If you're developing for corporate users you have to be aware that many still have Flash 6 which is the default player for Windows XP sp2.
    Flash version in corporate environments depends on lots of factors. Most OEM manufactures are now shipping Flash 9. And most corporations I go into have already rolled out Flash 9 to their desktops. As far as performance goes, does anyone want to add a Laszlo test to my RIA performance benchmark app: http://www.jamesward.org/census/ I'd like to do it, just haven't had time. -James (Adobe)
  7. Re: Which to start with[ Go to top ]

Thanks Marc and James, I have talked to a few people about it and most agree that Flex has more out there with respect to components and frameworks. I'm pretty happy about the fact the adobe is open sourcing much of flex. I know the enterprise data components and flex builder are not open sourced, but I think enough of it is for me to feel good about using it. I would some day like to see the data components open sourced also. James, any thought on weather someday that may happen?