Emacs 22 released - still with limited built-in Java support

Discussions

News: Emacs 22 released - still with limited built-in Java support

1. Noted by Joe Grossberg: GNU Emacs 22 has been released. This release has many, many (many, many, many) changes to it, some of which affect Java (in that jdb support has been updated, as well as some of the font-lock stuff), but for the most part, it remains what it was: an editor that happens to have an operating system in it (or vice versa) that many coders still love. Some of the changes are odd, to say the least: for example, one of the changes is "Emacs can now be built without sound support." (It's about time...?) There are two major versions of Emacs out there, Lucid Emacs (AKA XEmacs) and GNU Emacs. This is GNU Emacs, of course, so it'll be interesting to see what changes XEmacs makes in response. If you use emacs, which one do you prefer (and why?) Are you using Emacs without JDEE?
  2. Emacs with elisp evolved to eclipse +plugins(osgi) BUT i still love IDEA... really it is the best,it makes programming a real pleasure
  3. Vim Java Support?[ Go to top ]

You really can't knock the level of java support. By comparison, Vim is still behind as far as java support goes. The currently version of ctags still doesn't support many of the Java 5 features. I think the real challenge for these editors going forward is too start incorporating some of the basic IDE features like constant compiling and the associated marking of compile errors as you type. The old code->compile->fix->compile cycles they support can't compete with the IDEs. And as the javac compiler gets more capabilities for tools to take advantage these editors need ways of accessing and displaying that information.
  4. flymake[ Go to top ]

I used to use flymake to get compile-as-you-type and semantic error underlining in emacs. With version 22, flymake is now part of the standard GNU Emacs distribution. The reasons I had to move on to a Java IDE were that I used jikes as the compiler for flymake for speed (and jikes does not support Java 5), and I used xrefactory for refactoring (and xrefactory does not support Java 5). I still use emacs for editing other kinds of text files though.
  5. Eclim.sf.net[ Go to top ]

After your comment on flymake I looked around and there's a sourceforge project called Eclim that seems to give some of the capabilities I was looking for in Vim by integrating it with a headless Eclipse instance. I'll have to try it out.
  6. Emacs has to go down as one of the coolest applications every written, it might not be everyone's cup of tea when it comes to editors but the design of it is brilliant. Back in the "good ol' days" my Sun Spark station used to fire up Emacs and I'd stay in it all day. It handled email, file management, the OS interface, compiling and debugging. Of course this was in the late 80s and early 90s before Java and email as we know it today but it really is a powerful tool even today. For those that don't know it, it's probably not worth the effort because there are so many more modern and simpler tools to use but as an FYI think of it as a framework for editing files (text, java, C, binary, you name it) with an API that you can use interactively. You can write little macros (functions) to do very complex operations with the API and then bind the macro to a key and then re-use it as if it was part of the editor from day one. It's very well designed and everything works around buffers. If you've every used Bash as a shell in Linux/Mac/UNIX/Cygwin then the commands are based on Emacs. If anything it's worth a look at just to see how clever it is. Do I still use it? Yes. It's still my default editor because it's up and ready to go in a tenth of a second regardless of what the file is. I love IntelliJ but to have a quick look at a Java file, make a very quick change or to edit a file on a remote machine Emacs has done the job, recompiled and run the application while IntelliJ is still booting. 22.1.1 is now installed on my Mac and my new default editor, that's over 20 years I've been using it now, it's still cool. -John-
  7. .. that's over 20 years I've been using it now, it's still cool.
    Hey John, some of us weren't born when you started using Emacs ;-) Peace, Cameron Purdy Oracle Coherence: The Java Data Grid
  8. .. that's over 20 years I've been using it now, it's still cool.

Hey John, some of us weren't born when you started using Emacs ;-)

Peace,

Cameron Purdy
    Of course you're not speaking for yourself Cameron, I understood you're old enough to drink in America now. :-) -John-