Discussions

News: Apache Tiles 2.0.5 released as GA

1. Apache Tiles 2.0.5 released as GA (24 messages)

Apache Tiles 2.0.5 is the first GA (general availability) version of Apache Tiles, since the separation from Apache Struts. Apache Tiles is a view-layer framework based upon the "Composite View" design pattern, that allows to separate pages into reusable subpages. Apache Tiles has been part of Apache Struts, but now it is a completely independent framework. All you need is a Servlet 2.4 container and Java 5.0 (Java 1.4 packages are also available). It is also potentially (i.e. not tested) compatible with JSR-168 portlets. Struts 2 has already a plugin for Tiles 2.0.4 (it should work with 2.0.5 too). A plugin for the forthcoming Struts 1.4 has been already implemented. A plugin for Apache Shale/MyFaces is planned. Apache Tiles 2.0.5 is available at the Tiles Download Page.

Threaded Messages (24)

2. JSF?[ Go to top ]

Is it compatible with JSF pages?
  3. Re: JSF?[ Go to top ]

Is it compatible with JSF pages?
    It's that I intended when I said that a "Shale/MyFaces" plugin is planned. In fact, there is the need for a view handler that captures Tiles definitions and renders them. Shale has an implementation of such a view handler, but it is bound to an old version of Tiles 2 (in fact it was a snapshot release). MyFaces has a working implementation, but it is bound to Tiles 1. But probably the best implementation is without any plugin at all. You may be interested in this mailing list thread.
  4. I have tried to replace tiles 2.0.4 of tiles 1.x in example code of the book "Core JSF" , it works well.
  5. Does anyone really use anything other than sitemesh? As I recall Struts Tiles was extremely verbose and tightly coupled pages to tile directives (as opposed to the decorator pattern). We can argue the fine points of whether or not this is really true, but what has changed that makes Tiles more usable than sitemesh? I don't intend to flame, if you detect a tone of belligerence, please dismiss the thought. I am only after information. Dhanji.
  6. Does anyone really use anything other than sitemesh?

As I recall Struts Tiles was extremely verbose and tightly coupled pages to tile directives (as opposed to the decorator pattern). We can argue the fine points of whether or not this is really true, but what has changed that makes Tiles more usable than sitemesh?
    All the difference is in the use cases. Take a look at Composite View Pattern explanation, in particular the comparison to the decorator pattern. Anyway some people I know use Sitemesh and Tiles together :-)
  7. Does sitemesh support inheritance? I think sitemesh and Tiles works well together. They compliment each other.
  8. Could you please share the links where I can find tiles and sitemesh used together?

9. Does anyone really use anything other than sitemesh?

Dhanji.
    You don't seriously think that every project in the world uses SiteMesh do you ?
  10. problem with Sitemesh[ Go to top ]

I used to use Sitemesh a long time ago and one problem it had back then (and I haven't found out whether its changed) is that sitemesh operates by having to buffer your entire page content in a buffer before any content is flushed in an output stream (I believe it might even have been a simple StringBuffer.) This had some huge memory implications on some large JSPs which we were using. I probably would have never even noticed the issue had Tomcat not been have been dying on me when Sitemesh tried to decorate certain pages (running locally with less RAM). Can someone verify if this issue has been addressed in some recent versions of Sitemesh? If it hasn't I'll still stick with Tiles since Tiles does not have this issue since it's not using the decorator pattern like Sitemesh is.
  11. Does anyone really use anything other than sitemesh?
    We do for jbilling. Paul Casal Sr Developer jbilling.com The Enterprise Open Source Billing System
  12. Re: Apache Tiles 2.0.5 released as GA[ Go to top ]

Does anyone really use anything other than sitemesh?
    We do for jbilling.
    Yes, but jbilling also uses EJB stateless session beans, CMP and a three-tier model. I understand that you have a legacy architecture (meaning it is >3 years old, gotta love this profession), but nevertheless. If you had started development today, your technology choices would have seemed focused on other things than developer friendlyness or time-to-market/development cost considerations. There are far more efficient things than CMP out there today. Given the other technologies you use, your not using sitemesh is not surprising. The last time I lost sleep due to CMP, sitemesh was still in beta, I think. Geir
  13. Quickstart[ Go to top ]

Unfortunately the quickstart runs out after 2 pages.
  14. Re: Quickstart[ Go to top ]

Unfortunately the quickstart runs out after 2 pages.
    LOL you're right! Check out the Tutorial then...
  15. Congratulations[ Go to top ]

Hi Antonio, Congratulations on the 2.0.5 release. Contrary to some detractors on here the continued development of Tiles beyond Struts 1.x is very welcome! Cheers Mike
  16. Re: Congratulations[ Go to top ]

We are using sitemesh, It seems better, it doesn't get in your way and easier to maintain. j
  17. Can someone explain...[ Go to top ]

I've never used Tiles. I simply use JSP 2.0 Tag Files. , , , whatever. Add on a few parameters: or whatever you need. Typically I have the small bits in their own tags, wrapped up in to a larger tag: page.tag ${title}
    Then: x.jsp

Welcome to the documentation section

So, I'm not saying this is the bees knees, or the "best eva", but I'm wondering what Tiles offers above and beyond what you can do pretty easily out of the box? Maybe my pages just haven't been all that complex.
  18. Re: Can someone explain...[ Go to top ]

The same story: http://www.servletsuite.com/servlets/template.htm just a simple template taglib
  19. The same story: http://www.servletsuite.com/servlets/template.htm
    just a simple template taglib
    Simple but not open source. Sorry to say it, but Tiles is far better than these "simple" template tags.
  20. Re: Can someone explain...[ Go to top ]

but I'm wondering what Tiles offers above and beyond what you can do pretty easily out of the box?
    First of all you don't have to write all those tags :-) And then the advanced features: nesting, inheritance, view preparers, localization... is it enough for you :-)
  21. Re: Can someone explain...[ Go to top ]

but I'm wondering what Tiles offers above and beyond what you can do pretty easily out of the box?

First of all you don't have to write all those tags :-)
    You do understand that those tags are trivial to create, yes?
    And then the advanced features: nesting, inheritance, view preparers, localization... is it enough for you :-)
    I can't say if they're enough for me or not as I DON'T KNOW WHAT THEY ARE. I don't see any summary anywhere describing "inheritance", "nesting", "view preparers", etc.
  22. advanced tiles[ Go to top ]

Check this document out for advanced tiles features: http://www2.lifl.fr/~dumoulin/tiles/tilesAdvancedFeatures.pdf
  23. Re: Can someone explain...[ Go to top ]

First of all you don't have to write all those tags :-)

You do understand that those tags are trivial to create, yes?
    Sure, but you're reinventing the wheel...

And then the advanced features: nesting, inheritance, view preparers, localization... is it enough for you :-)

I can't say if they're enough for me or not as I DON'T KNOW WHAT THEY ARE. I don't see any summary anywhere describing "inheritance", "nesting", "view preparers", etc.
    See Tiles Advanced Features.
  24. Re: Can someone explain...[ Go to top ]

See Tiles Advanced Features.
    Whoops sorry wrong link. Here is the right one.
  25. jepa, tiles rocks[ Go to top ]

I was last week in a situation where I had to refactor a struts-app. It was realised without tiles and much (very much) redundant code. I had 4 days to refactor the app to tiles. But now i must say it rocks. The way things would be handeld is now very clear and well encapsulated. What helped me very much was the ability to register controller-classes to the different tiles. Like this you are god in your site-composition. I also realized a generic menu in tiles, very nice approach.