JBoss Tools 3 Alpha released

Discussions

News: JBoss Tools 3 Alpha released

1. JBoss Tools 3 Alpha released (9 messages)

The first alpha release of JBoss Tools 3 are now available for download JBoss Tools is a set of Eclipse based plugins for JBoss related technology such as Seam, Hibernate/JPA, JSF, EJB3, JBossESB, JBossWS, Portal etc. There is a lot going on in 3.x, but the following are the new feature highlights:
    • Graphical Seam pages.xml editor, visual view and editing of page and exception navigation
    • Faster editing in Visual Page Editor and the source tab is back!
    • EL Variable substitution, allowing users to specify what a EL variable should be evaluated to; allowing includes and image references in pages that uses EL to be visualized.
    • Project archives can use relative paths and Eclipse variables allowing for more portable .packages files
    • Dali support for Hibernate, use Hibernate as a JPA platform in Eclipse JPA projects.
    • Portlet wizard and facet with support for JSF/Seam via the Portlet Bridge
    • JBossWS WTP support, enable usage of JBossWS in WTP web services functionality
    • Eclipse BIRT support, we added a Hibernate backed datasource for Eclipse BIRT and experimental Seam/JSF tags for using BIRT charts and reports.
    ...and more. See the blog at in.relation.to for more details. This is an alpha release so do not hold back your suggestions and bugreports because they might make it into the final release. Have fun!

Threaded Messages (9)

2. http://www.eclipse.org/tptp/home/downloads/?ver=4.5.0 ?
  3. If you read the blog ;) you would see it points to our build results page that lists the used Eclipse drivers. TPTP 4.5.0 is among them :) p.s. the TPTP integration is currently just limited to enable TPTP profile option on our JBoss AS adapter. If it does not work for you let us know on the forum/jira.
  4. But happy to say it worked excellent together with jboss now. For people with ubuntu, you need to add http://packages.ubuntu.com/gutsy/i386/libstdc++2.10-glibc2.2/download
  5. Thanks for the ubuntu update; about JBoss it have always worked for me so not sure whaat you mean ;)
  6. AS5[ Go to top ]

No, i am not going to hijack this post to bitch about the app server, relax... I just want to know if when JBoss Tools 3 and JBoss AS 5 are available, what will the integration be like, will you support Glassfish?... I like this announcement as it differs from the long-forgotten attempt by BEA to make WebLogic proprietary with that WebLogic Workshop standard called 'Java Web Service' or JWS, instead, JBoss is sticking with industry-standards that are in place, now it will be interesting to see the attention it gets from Eclipse users and WebSphere customers... Glassfish v. WebLogic JBoss v. WebSphere account-by-account OSS is going to trump proprietary implementations, and you need a development environment to be able to compete, so good job, JBoss, this is an impressive evolution of your acquisitions and development over the past year...
  7. Re: AS5[ Go to top ]

I just want to know if when JBoss Tools 3 and JBoss AS 5 are available, what will the integration be like, will you support Glassfish?...
    Doug the aim of JBoss Tools is to create the best developer experience possible for JBoss technologies - App Server, Seam, Portal, Hibernate, ESB, etc. This release gets us a step closer. Supporting Glassfish or other application servers isn't a goal.

account-by-account OSS is going to trump proprietary implementations, and you need a development environment to be able to compete, so good job, JBoss,

this is an impressive evolution of your acquisitions and development over the past year...
    Indeed - giving developers a productive environment is super-important and I think JBoss Tools has come a long way in a short time thanks to Max and team and their ability to effectively collaborate with the Eclipse ecosystem. Rich Sharples JBoss, a division of Red Hat blog.softwhere.org
  8. Re: AS5[ Go to top ]

Hi Doug/Rich, Yes - JBoss AS is our main target for appserver related functionality (remember alot if not most of our features are totally appserver agnostic). I also want to remind that Eclipse in it self already comes with a good set of supported servers so other appservers can be used... ..and If we have a feature that is JBoss AS specific it is because: A) Other appservers does not have that feature B) Implementing it for other appservers were not possible in reasonable time frame. C) We did not know better :) A, we can't really do much about. B, come and contribute! C, tell us what we missed :)
  9. Re: JBI[ Go to top ]

Max, Thanks for the response, i think i understand the lay-out of no official support of other app servers beyond JBoss, but with JEE and other standards allowing deployment, for instance, on an external Glassfish environment... The question that comes to mind, and which many people will be watching is will JBoss Tools 3 support JBI, and how does that impact the JBoss ESB?... will you support any pre-built JBI components being utilized in an integration project on JBoss ESB, openESB, ServiceMix, etc...?...
  10. Re: JBI[ Go to top ]

Douglas, JBI is not on the immediate road map for the SOA tooling being worked on for JBoss Tools 3. How JBI impacts JBoss ESB ? I think this is more a relevant question on our JBoss ESB forums aka. I don't know ;)