Enterprise Job Scheduling with Flux

Discussions

News: Enterprise Job Scheduling with Flux

1. Enterprise Job Scheduling with Flux (8 messages)

Sims Computing announces the beta release of Flux, the Enterprise Job Scheduling software component for J2EE and Java applications. Job scheduling is a traditional function that executes different tasks at specified or recurring times. The Flux component performs this functionality in Java and J2EE environments.

Flux can be used in any Java environment, including J2EE applications. Jobs can be scheduled to run at a specific day and time and on a recurring basis. The job scheduler persists its scheduling data in a relational database so that once scheduling begins, Flux can be stopped and restarted without rescheduling jobs.

Flux integrates with Java by calling user-defined callbacks when a job is scheduled for execution. Furthermore, Flux integrates with J2EE applications by sending JMS (Java Message Service) messages and invoking EJB (Enterprise JavaBeans) session beans when a job is scheduled for execution.

Flux is an implementation of the open Job Scheduling Standard, available at Public Interface.

More information on Flux is available at the Sims Computing web site, www.simscomputing.com.

Threaded Messages (8)

2. David,

This is really cool stuff! A portable scheduling component for J2EE is something that is well needed in the industry, congragulations on being the first to provide this. How do you plan to distribute Flux? How will the licensing work / when is the 1.0 going to come out?

Floyd
  3. Floyd,

Yes, portability and an open standard/vendor-neutral interface were one of the key design requirements for Flux. Initially, Flux will be distributed directly from the web site, although it's possible that it may be distributed in other ways.

The licensing is fairly simple -- one license is required for each computer (not CPU) that the software is stored on or executed on. Consequently, there's no real distinction between "developer" and "server" licenses. The licensing cost is $125/license.

As for the date when Flux will be out of beta, this is, as usual, hard to say. We want to make sure that we're not missing any crucial scheduling functionality, and I'm especially concerned with putting out a bug-free product.

regards,
    david
  4. Enterprise Job Scheduling with Flux[ Go to top ]

If I wanted to distribute your code with an application that needed scheduling, would my customer license from you? Or do I charge the customer per machine? Or do I design my system to make sure it runs on the "server". Or do I design it so that the application is distributed and make sure that only one machine runs it at a time?

I have always liked the simscomputing software and would rather not write a job scheduler myself!
  5. Enterprise Job Scheduling with Flux[ Go to top ]

hi Mark,

If you wanted to distribute Flux with an application that needed scheduling, you would need to license it ahead of time for each computer it would be installed on. You are free, of course, to design your application in any way that makes sense for you, whether that means putting Flux on many customer machines or just a single server. Either way, you'd simply need a license for each computer that Flux gets distributed to.

hope that helps,
    david
  6. Enterprise Job Scheduling with Flux[ Go to top ]

Hi David,

It will be great if you can tell with what App servers flux is tested.

Thanks and Regards,
    Mettu.
  7. Enterprise Job Scheduling with Flux[ Go to top ]

hi Mettu,

So far, it's been tested with the OrionServer app server. A WebLogic test is scheduled as well.

(As far as databases go, it's been tested with Oracle and Hypersonic SQL.)

cheers,
    david
  8. Enterprise Job Scheduling with Flux[ Go to top ]

Will wait for Test Results with WebLogic.

Regards,
    Mettu.
  9. WebLogic test results[ Go to top ]

hi Mettu,

Flux 1.0.2 has been verified to work with WebLogic 5.1.

regards,
    david