Why is Dropbox so popular?

Discussions

News: Why is Dropbox so popular?

1. Why is Dropbox so popular? (9 messages)

Someone on Quora asked why Dropbox - a folder-syncing application - is so popular. The answer is perfect: because it does what people wanted done. All the window-dressing is irrelevant.

Well, let's take a step back and think about the sync problem and what the ideal solution for it would do:

• There would be a folder.
    • You'd put your stuff in it.
    • It would sync.

They built that.

Why didn't anyone else build that?  I have no idea.

"But," you may ask, "so much more you could do!  What about task management, calendaring, customized dashboards, virtual white boarding.  More than just folders and files!"

No, shut up.  People don't use that crap.  They just want a folder.  A folder that syncs.

It's like YAGNI applied to applications. As a dropbox user myself, I have to say it kinda rocks.

Threaded Messages (9)

2. Why is Dropbox so popular?[ Go to top ]

Indeed, dropbox just works. Plain and simple.

3. but no ntlm proxy support...[ Go to top ]

oh yeah it's so perfect that it doesn't support ntlm proxies!

4. but no ntlm proxy support...[ Go to top ]

I guess thats covered by "plain and simple" and in my book lack of support for an obsolete MS "standard" is one hell of a feature :-)

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTLM: "Microsoft no longer recommends using NTLM in applications..."

5. but no ntlm proxy support...[ Go to top ]

NTLM? hahahahaha.

It's called dropbox. Not shitbox.

6. please grow up...[ Go to top ]

yeah, ntlm proxy... so what ? at work we have such a proxy and I cannot use dropbox.

7. please grow up...[ Go to top ]

yeah, ntlm proxy... so what ? at work we have such a proxy and I cannot use dropbox.

I'm not a dropbox proponent or anything but saying software isn't good because it doesn't support obsolete protocols or platforms doesn't really pass the smell test.  Should they also support token-ring?  (Maybe they do, I have no idea.)  If they don't support something like this, it's probably because they decided there was worth the effort.

8. please grow up...[ Go to top ]

Then you don't deserve using dropbox. Yo too st00pid.

9. Dropbox and ntlm[ Go to top ]

Marco, you can install a local proxy (such at cntlm or ntlmaps). Dropbox uses your local proxy, and your local proxy is configured to go to your ntml company proxy. Works like a charm !

10. but no ntlm proxy support...[ Go to top ]

Try the Firewall Client for ISA Server or the 'NTLM Authorization Proxy Server'.