A posthumous 'tip of the hat' to John McCarthy

Discussions

News: A posthumous 'tip of the hat' to John McCarthy

1. John McCarthy, the creator of Lisp, among many other accomplishments, passed away Sunday in Stanford, California at the age of 84.

A pioneer and thought leader in areas such as artificial intelligence and 'utility computing', which in many ways maps to the ever popular 'cloud computing' offerings of today, John McCarthy's work has had a significant impact on many aspects of the day to day activities of computer programmers and IT professionals alike.

MIT's Technology Review provides a fitting article that speaks to the man's work and accomplishments that is well worth reading.

Computing Pioneer Dies

Edited by: Cameron McKenzie on Oct 26, 2011 1:50 PM
  2. But what about Dennis?[ Go to top ]

John McCarthy, the creator of Lisp, among many other accomplishments, passed away Sunday in Stanford, California at the age of 84.

A pioneer and thought leader in areas such as artificial intelligence and 'utility computing', which in many ways maps to the ever popular 'cloud computing' offerings of today, John McCarthy's work has had a significant impact on many aspects of the day to day activities of computer programmers and IT professionals alike.

MIT's Technology Review provides a fitting article that speaks to the man's work and accomplishments that is well worth reading.

Computing Pioneer Dies

Edited by: Cameron McKenzie on Oct 26, 2011 1:50 PM

Truly, the man who put parentheses on the map.

However, I think it would be remiss of me to not stick something in on the TSS and indeed on the web about the man who allowed me to put food on my table, and be able to consider my line of work play:

To Dennis Ritchie, the father of C, and all things derived from it. Thank you.

Rest in peace - free(dennis_ritchie);

http://www.wired.com/wiredenterprise/2011/10/thedennisritchieeffect/