Understanding Aleri - A Complex Event Processing Platform

Discussions

News: Understanding Aleri - A Complex Event Processing Platform

1. Today, in the first of the multi-part series, I want to provide an overview of the Aleri platform and provide some code samples where required. In the second part, I will present the Aleri Studio, the eclipse based GUI that simplifies the task of modeling CEP workflow and monitor the Aleri server through a dashboard.

In my previous blog post on Complex Event Processing, I demonstrated the use of Esper, the open source CEP software and Twitter4J API to handle stream of tweets from Twitter.  A CEP product is much more thanhandling just one stream of data though. Single stream of data could be easily handled through the standard asynchronous messaging platforms and does not pose very challenging scalability or latency issues. But when it comes to consuming more than one real time stream of data and to analyzing it in real time, and when correlation between the streams of data is important, nothing beats a CEP platform. The sources feeding streaming platform could vary in speed, volume and complexity. A true enterprise class CEP should deal effectively with various real time high speed data like stock tickers and slower but voluminous offline batch uploads, with equal ease. Apart from providing standard interfaces, CEP should also provide an easier programming language to query the streaming data and to generate continuous intelligence through such features as pattern matching and  snapshot querying.

To keep it simple and at high level, CEP can be broken down to three basic parts. The first is the mechanism to grab/consume source data. Next is the process of investigating that data, identifying events & patterns and then interacting with target systems by providing them the actionable items. The actionable events take different forms and formats depending on the application you are using the CEP for. An action item could be - selling an equity position based on calculated risk in a risk monitoring application. indicating potential fraud events in money laundering applications or alerting to a catastrophic event in a monitoring system by reading thousands of sensors in a chemical plant.

Read more here

Threaded Messages (2)

2. About the Author?[ Go to top ]

Mahesh -

It's relevant to your article (and your blog) that you work at Sybase, so you should point that out :-)

Peace,

Cameron Purdy | Oracle

3. About the Author?[ Go to top ]

Cameron,

Fair point. A disclaimer will be added going forward, as the post and the blog is not in the official capacity of a Sybase employee. 

Thanks
    Mahesh