Ask Anything You Want.....

Discussions

TSS feedback: Ask Anything You Want.....

1. Ask Anything You Want..... (12 messages)

I just wanted to make comment to the various people who often tell others to go read a book, or something equally gruff in manner, when the questions are low-level in skill. Your implication seems to be that they shouldn't be posting these sorts of questions. I beg to differ. This site is not just for those with long histories of experience. I myself have been a developer in Java for quite some time, and am sometimes surprised at the little tidbits that I can learn from someone else's answer to a question that I might have answered differently. Even when the questions are easy.

Maybe these "askers" could be a little better about self- education. However, maybe you could take the edge off of the gruffness a little. It doesn't hurt anyone for people to come and ask questions. If you don't want to answer, then don't. This is an open community, with people in a wide range of skill levels. Just because the questions are beneath your skills, doesn't mean that they don't bear value in having them asked, answered, and answered well. If one person is asking, maybe others are too. Many of us have heard the silly phrase, "the only stupid question is the one that you don't ask." I'm surprised at how often junior developers don't ask the question, and the problem is worse later.

We, who are more experienced, should not only be less gruff with newer people, but should encourage them. It makes us stronger, it makes the newer developer asking stronger, and it makes our community stronger as a whole.

Again, I opologize for being off topic. But I think this is a learning and research environment to all. I'm not trying to get on anyone's case.

-Jason McKerr

Threaded Messages (12)

2. Ask Anything You Want.....[ Go to top ]

Jason,

I am one who tells newbies to "go read a book" and I think you make an excellent point about my "gruffess".

Instead of "go read a book" my reply should be something along the order of...

"I can tell by your question that you have nearly no knowledge of java/servlets/ejb. Instead of answering your question, the best advice I can give you is to read a book on the fundamentals. This would be the best use of your time allowing you to learn java/servlets/ejb much more quickly than by asking one question at a time."

Is that better?

3. Ask Anything You Want.....[ Go to top ]

I agree with you both Jeff and Jason. that's politics.
    But I also think that a bit of asking is good as is a bit of doing your own research for yourself. I tend to be the latter, but that can be a weakness too.
    At the end of the day, does it matter? Either you have had a good day and are happy to share your knowledge with others. Or you are a selfish pig who does not care about others around you etc.
    This is all aimed at the psychology page anyway. Any decent java questions out there. Incredible stuff!!
    best kev
  4. Ask Anything You Want.....[ Go to top ]

I have one request - to people who have a problem, and have then solved the problem themselves, could they quickly post what the solution was please? Quite a few times I've seen problems that have no adequate reply, but are quite old, and I'm guessing that the people who posted the messages didn't just give up. Promise I'll do the same...
  5. Hi,
    Is it good to use the weblogic server's web server for hosting servlets and as well as use it for deploying ejb's.I find that people use application server's for deploying ejb's and where as use web servers for servlet.why is it so?????????
  6. I think everybody has right to ask, who doesn't want to help, he doesn't have to answer...
  7. Ask Anything You Want.....[ Go to top ]

You see it's not as simple as that. If you trivialize the forum you will have fewer experienced people visiting the forum and hence fewer intelligent questions. It would be nice to have a general forum for newbies like "Ask anything but please dont bug guys on other forums". :)
  8. Ask Anything You Want.....[ Go to top ]

Excellent point.
  9. Ask Anything You Want.....[ Go to top ]

This is a discussion forum, not a "help me do my work" hotline. Questions like should I should entity beans or what are the pros and cons of using XML/XSL versus JSP are valid discussion points. More specific questions that have some general relevance are good also. But this should not be a "I want to write a JSP page that reads from a database, can somebody give me the steps for doing this" forum. To me this type of question shows either the person is extremely lazy or just a complete idiot. The person should ask something along the lines "I'm writing a hello world JSP page and now want to connect it to a database..a little confused about connections, connection pools, etc...can somebody clarify..thanks." The tone of the question is also important. Saying "I want this" or "give me the steps to this" is rude and demanding (maybe the person didn't mean to be rude and demanding but how am I suppose to know). Instead, just rephrase and ask, "can somebody help me out with this" or "I'm curious as to what steps are involved." Another peeve: try to ask questions with some relevance to the forum. Don't ask JavaScript questions on the EJB forum. But I do agree with you that just because the question maybe trivial to most people doesn't mean it shouldn't be asked. Questions are good. Just my opinion.

--
    Tinou Bao
    www.tinou.com
  10. Ask Anything You Want.....[ Go to top ]

Forums should have some level of maturity. People can't some and ask questions which they can resolve reading ANY printed book. I believe this forum should be more for help in understanding concepts, first-time complex implementations, performance and tuning. But one cannot be judgemental about what comprises a "Good question" so in a way "Ask anything you want" seems feasible because that might unravel some trivial and fundamental concepts hitherto overlooked. Like the question once raised on another forum, whether Java passes parameters by value or reference sparked a discussion for days together. I think every guy who asks questions should use his own judgement before asking any question and use the forum only as the last resort! - It irks when somebody asks a question like how to write a session bean!!!
  11. I just wanted to make comment to the various people who often tell others to go read a book, or something equally gruff in manner, when the questions are low-level in skill. Your implication seems to be that they shouldn't be posting these sorts of questions. I beg to differ. This site is not just for those with long histories of experience. I myself have been a developer in Java for quite some time, and am sometimes surprised at the little tidbits that I can learn from someone else's answer to a question that I might have answered differently. Even when the questions are easy.

Maybe these "askers" could be a little better about self- education. However, maybe you could take the edge off of the gruffness a little. It doesn't hurt anyone for people to come and ask questions. If you don't want to answer, then don't. This is an open community, with people in a wide range of skill levels. Just because the questions are beneath your skills, doesn't mean that they don't bear value in having them asked, answered, and answered well. If one person is asking, maybe others are too. Many of us have heard the silly phrase, "the only stupid question is the one that you don't ask." I'm surprised at how often junior developers don't ask the question, and the problem is worse later.

We, who are more experienced, should not only be less gruff with newer people, but should encourage them. It makes us stronger, it makes the newer developer asking stronger, and it makes our community stronger as a whole.

Again, I opologize for being off topic. But I think this is a learning and research environment to all. I'm not trying to get on anyone's case.

-Ananth

12. I have to agree here in principle.

If you don't like the question being asked... then simply don't answer it. But if you do answer it... don't answer with "read the f***ing manual".

I think that is very rude to say the least. And why be rude to someone who is just asking for your help?

Most people who ask 'sweeping' (what some would consider 'stupid') questions are very new to the technology. And they don't REALIZE that the questions they are asking are broad in scope. Questions such as "how do I write a session bean?...".

These kinds of questions are valid. Perhaps referring the person to a good online resource, or an inexpensive book might be better than insulting the person.

Regards,

Rick

13. Ask Anything You Want.....[ Go to top ]

Jason,

I guess what really bothers me about this forum is that it has turned into help desk for H1B visa programmers who don't have a clue. These are the same H1B visa programmers that are driving all of our billing rates down.

I don't respond to their stupid questions anymore. I don't even recommend any books. If a programmer is fresh off the boat and claims to know Java, he had better know Java. And any companies who hire these morons to work at half of my rate deserve what they get.